It’s finally done! I have been working for months on an updated version of The Underground Guide to International Volunteering and I’m excited to finally announce its release. The ebook has grown from 63 pages to over 100 and includes some great new interviews, an additional section on the ethics of volunteering, some in-depth comparisons of free versus paid placements, and a whole bunch of personal recommendations for free and cheap volunteering opportunities.
This guide is aimed at introducing travellers to the wonders of volunteering abroad, helping them break away from the usual backpacker trail, get involved with local communities around the world, and make a difference in people’s lives in a variety of ways.
When I first started travelling I thought international volunteering was only possible for people who either had specific skills that were in demand or for people willing to pay thousands of dollars to a company to find them a placement. Since hitting the road I have seen how easy it actually is to volunteer abroad and there are plenty of places that would love an extra set of hands… you just need to find them.
I want to share with you what I know about international volunteering in the hopes that you gain the confidence and knowledge you need to search out your own amazing experiences that go beyond beaches and the backpacker trail.
The ebook includes:
- Help deciding whether international volunteering is a good fit for you.
- Advice on how to choose a volunteering experience that is right for you.
- Information on different types of volunteering from conservation to development to disaster relief.
- Practical information on visas, travel insurance, packing, health and hygiene, living conditions and communication.
- Nine interviews with international volunteers sharing their experiences, giving advice and offering inspiration.
- Tips for how to find free and cheap volunteering placements including website reviews that will help with your search.
- A list of volunteering opportunities worldwide that are free or low-cost with organizations I trust.
- Fee-based volunteering: Why I would never do it but why it is right for some people.
- A list of fee-based volunteering companies along with information on whether they donate part of their fee to the actual project.
- Free updates forever as I discover new free and cheap volunteering opportunities.
- Insight and first-hand stories and advice from an experienced international volunteer – that’s me!
That’s a lot of stuff crammed in there and, for only $14, The Underground Guide to International Volunteering is a bargain. It could potentially save you thousands of dollars if you use my tips and contacts to find a free or cheap volunteering placement. Plus you’ll save dozens of hours which leaves you more time to plan, dream, and get excited! I am confident that, after reading this ebook, you will be armed with the information and confidence you need to turn a typical backpacking trip into the experience of a lifetime through volunteering.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Are you frustrated with spending dozens of hours online scouring the internet but only coming up with volunteering opportunities that cost thousands of dollars?
- Are you sick of just passing though places feeling like a walking dollar sign to the locals?
- Do you want to get really involved in local communities as you travel?
- Are you sure you want to volunteer but unable to find placements that don’t cost hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars?
- Do you want to break up your travels with some hard, rewarding work that helps people in need?
- Do you want to build friendships with people from all walks of life from all over the world?
- Do you want to travel more cheaply?
- Do you want to learn new skills and do work you might never have had a chance to do at home?
- Do you want to practice a new language with locals who are eager to help?
- Do you want to go beyond beaches and the backpacker trail and really get to know the country you are visiting?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of those questions then my ebook The Underground Guide to International Volunteering was made for you.
Buy it now on Kindle!
Canada – $9.99 CDN
- South America Living
- Volunteering Vagabond
- 20 Something Travel
- Never Ending Voyage
- Trail of Ants
- Go Backpacking
- In Searck of Sanuk
- Brooke Versus the World
- Do It While You’re Young
- Traveling Savage
- Jetset Citizen
- Fox Nomad
- Our Hiking Blog
I would love to know what you think of the ebook so please post a comment below once you’ve read it. Enjoy!
Join the Affiliate Programme
If you have a travel blog of your own and think my eBook would be interesting to your readers, consider signing up for my affiliate programme and selling The Underground Guide to International Volunteering on your site. Not only will you be promoting a useful resource to your readers, you’ll also get 50% of every sale! Head over to my affiliate information page for all of the details including images to help you promote the eBook. Plus I’m happy to do interviews or write guest posts about volunteering too, if you’d like to kick up the promotion a bit. At $7 a sale, I think it could work well for a lot of people.