I’ve never been a fan of blogs and I tried to fight the power but it seems like if I want to keep up with the Jones’ thenÂ I’ve really got noÂ choice but to hop on the bandwagon and start one. Since my web host offers a one-click installer thing for WordPress, WordPress it would be! But it was not without much reluctance on my part.
Why I hated blogs:
- Everybody and Their Dog HasÂ a Blog - Anyone who knowsÂ how toÂ turn on a computer and get online canÂ sign up for Blogger or WordPress and get a site up and running in no time. I have to admit to being a web development snob and I don’t like this! I spent ridiculous amounts of time learning HTML, FTP, CSS, Photoshop and all the other tools of the trade and so should everybody else dammit. Where were all these time saving tools when I needed them?!
- Cookie Cutter Type Sites - I’m a bit of a design junkie and, while I have had it drilled into my head many times that content is king, I’m still a sucker for a well designed website. More people seem to be customising their themes now but it still irks me when I see a site using that has been used a zillion times. I can handle a theme being used a billion times, but a zillion is just pushing things too far.
- Super Long Pages - Am I the only person who thinks the main page of a blog is generally ridiculously long? My index finger would cramp up after 2 minutes with all that scrolling. Coming up with a good navigation system is always aÂ major focus for me when I build a new site and having to scroll down for 4 years is not good navigation in my most humble, blog hatingÂ opinion.
- Posts DisplayingÂ MostÂ RecentÂ First - I read a lot of travel blogs and I really don’t think displaying the most recent post first cuts it. It makes more sense to me to be able to start at the beginning and some travel blogs make it difficult to actually get to the first post. Caused endless frustration. Endless I tell you!
- WordPress Made My Head Explode - I had a few cracks at getting WordPress blogs up and running and the whole experience left me with a splitting headache. Being the design freak that I am I wanted to tweak seemingly small things here and there thatÂ would endÂ up turning into a 4 hour session of hair pulling and keyboard abuse.
I was gonna do this as one long post but since I’ve said I hate long main pages I think I’ll break it up. So tomorrow I’ll tell you why I have seen the light -Â AMEN! – and have accepted blogging into my life.